Tuesday, September 8, 2009

DIY: photo frame

When I saw this post a few months ago, I tried to think of a good opportunity to try the same idea. And then at the beginning of summer, it hit me! What a better way to say 'goodbye' and 'thank you for the past 18 years' to my parents than to give them this distressed window with photos stuck behind the panes of glass? It's both practical and personal, something they can hang in the house and something with sentimental value.

I picked up the this old window at Whole House Building Supply & Salvage: the place is fantastic if you're searching for DIY supplies. Doors, mirrors, marble slabs - you name it, they've got it.

Mom started getting all mushy just looking at it ...oh, parents =)

So yes, life at home wrapped up rather quickly at the end of the summer. One 6 hour plane flight and a 3 hour bus ride later, I am now at Dartmouth College! I leave for a pre-orientation hiking trip tomorrow, but I promise to return in a few days with yet another DIY post - this time about dorm room decorations!

22 comments:

  1. that is really cool, and such a sweet gift. good luck on your hiking trip! that sounds really exciting and fun. you are going to love college (oh, and it's okay if you don't. i didn't really LOVE college, and i turned out okay).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really gorgeous, and so thoughtful. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for the feedback! congratulations on your choice, and i hope you have a wonderful year! i'll continue to enjoy all the fun ideas you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your mom will get mushy quite often over the next few weeks and months. Today is my daughter's birthday, and here I am...1000 miles away from her as she turns 25. I'm feeling a bit mushy myself.

    Your gift was perfect, and I know they will treasure it forever.A little closer to the holidays I'm going to write about a gift my daughter gave us a couple years ago, I think you will like it and may want to copy her idea.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! It sounds like you have a very special relationship with your parents. Good luck with your new college life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah what a great idea!! I bet they're so thankful for this. There's nothing else that mum loves more!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW... my parents got hugs and kisses haha... mad props!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and thoughtful gift! Good luck at school!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous gift. As a parent, yes, "mush" is a good thing:). This is a treasure. Thanks for the idea, and the source!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love creative gifts! And I love the white wood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool! I used to DIY frames too :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, congrats on starting school and taking the long trip out there - how impressive and brave!

    Those colorful photos look beautiful in the window frame!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea for that photo frame! And thank you for complimenting my photography! I am just a begginer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow this is an awesome idea! the pictures are adorable... im sure your parents were thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic idea! I wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a sweet daughter you are....good luck at college this year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aw kaytee thats so sweet!! I miss you a lot and have fun in college!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fantastic....I hope you are enjoying the weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your posts :) Enjoy your time in college. It will be some of the best years of your life. Thanks for posting on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous photo frame, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete