Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Slowing down...

Lately, I've been trying to pack all sorts of things into my schedule before leaving for college.
Go out to my favorite restaurant one last time (check!)
Make cookies for the newspaper staffers (soon to be completed!)
Meet up with old friends (check check check!)
Go bowling (I even made a strike without using bumpers!)
Attend an outdoor concert (double check!)
Go to the farmers market to buy fresh fruits and veggies (check!)
Write more letters to people who have influenced my past four years of school (check!)

My mom laughed at my last minute to-do list. "Kaytee, it's not like you're dying. This will all still be here."

Yes and no. Yes, everything will still be here when I come home for Christmas. But that seems so far away. I want to soak it all in right now. I want to make sure I remember and appreciate every little thing. Don't get me wrong: I can't wait for college to start. But I also know there will be a lot of things about home that I will miss.

The other day, my parents and I went over the hill to Santa Cruz to have breakfast on the water. We walked along the beach for a little bit and then played a game of Scrabble on the sand. What with working two jobs and being obsessed with frantic to-do list making, I always seem to be so busy. So many things I've planned all the time. But just for once, just that one morning, spending time with my family - it was enough.

11 comments:

  1. OHHHH MYYYY ! These photos of your parents are so natural and stunning :) Awwww,they look so sweet together <3

    Great photographer you are

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are quite the photographer. beautiful pics. made me wish i had a beach in my town. :(( what are going to college to study?? and my god ! you were working two jobs!! thats amazing!! i really loved that out off focus pic of your dad and mom walking on the sand. keeping the focus so near was soo nice!! nice idea! it looks soo nice!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, thanks for visiting and commenting. I'm just getting started and I really appreciate it. I don't know if you read that my blog is something my daughter and I work on together. The posts will come from things she called and asked when she was away at school, and in the past 2 years since she graduated and moved 1000 miles away!

    We've always been close, so being apart is really hard on all of us, and yet we have such quality time when we are all together (and talk many times a day) so it really is okay. You'll be fine.

    Your parents look great, and your photos are beautiful! I love seeing a young person appreciate their family. Good for you! I knew I liked you when I saw the M&M's and peanut butter cups!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about life getting so hectic that you forget to take time for your family and yourself! I am up in Maine visiting my parents this weekend and it is just what I needed - a break from all the chaos of my young professional life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful parents you've got!

    All the best with school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute <3
    have fun in college!
    and it was great seeing you the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. really captured the sweet moments...frame them and take them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really lovely, the first especially.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a glorious tribute to your parents and taking the time-out to enjoy your final moments before going off to school! i loved your georgetown story--which school did you end up choosing? thanks also for the comment and encouragement. i'm using blogs in my classes for the first time (http://hbenglishpages2.blogspot.com/); i'd love any ideas you have for making them more useful--best of luck on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete