Saturday, September 5, 2009

Teatime

Most of us have not been to a tea party since those elementary school days with close friends and a few stuffed animals.
Which is why I thought it would be fun to invite my friend Courtney over for a little tea party before we left for school. I've known her since second grade! And thanks to her British parents, tea was always a regular part of our playdates. But we haven't seen each other - let alone had a tea party - in a long time.
It was so much fun! While catching up about our summers, we made four batches of cookies: chocolate peanut butter oatmeal, cinnamon pecan, gingersnap, and coconut macadamia. Baking is twice as fun with a friend.
I'll link to the recipes we used, but we also did a bit of experimenting:
Chocolate peanut butter oatmeal: we left out the chocolate and peanut butter chips and added Quaker oats instead.
Cinnamon pecan: it's just the basic Tollhouse recipe, but we substituted chopped pecans for chocolate chips and sprinkled cinnamon on top. These are also tasty if you add a pinch of salt on top right after they come out of the oven.
Gingersnap: We left this recipe intact.
Coconut macadamia: We added chopped macadamia nuts.

We only used about one third of the dough for each recipe - which believe me, allowed for more than enough cookies! I baked the rest of the dough the next day and brought it to school for the newspaper staffers.

From the center of the plate outward, the cookies are gingersnap, coconut macadamia, chocolate peanut butter oatmeal, and cinnamon pecan. Yumm! What are your favorite types of cookies?

15 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for visiting my blog! Yours is WAY cute... Have a great time at school, (are you just a freshman this year?), and keep in touch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like fun! I actually taught etiquette classes for little kids a couple years ago. We ended the class with a formal tea, so they could dress up and practice all they had learned. It was such fun to watch them.

    I like any cookie with chocolate and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for popping over to my blog. I had to come and peek at yours. It made me hungry! Very lovely pictures ~ I think I gained 5lbs just looking at them! :-) I shall pop back again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea parties are so English and so fun! The cookies look so tempting you girls must have done wonderful in the kitchen!

    I love Afghan cookies! Yum! And any cookies with nuts in them. Almond and macadamia ones top the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drool! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful year at school. Your cookies look wonderful. Will you continue to blog while at school?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaytee, you are such a wonderful person :) thanks so much for thinking about us and making us those coookies; newspaper will miss you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh.. :((.. since my tummy was doing bad i had curd and rice in the morning. there is nothing more uninteresting in this world than curd and rice for me. damn!! and here youve taken these pics!!! ahhh.. i feel like crying.. which is right now motivating me to actually go and share my feelings with that damn restaurant.. i love cookies.. i still have tea. but i like it without milk and with lemon... i need to cook cookies next.. its really been a long time..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being British I wholeheartedly approve of tea parties! The cookies sound fab - i should try them with my girls. Good Luck at college - have a fab time, x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum those cookies look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. chocolate peanut butter oatmeal? I'd do something slightly illegal for one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such a cute idea!

    My Granny's chocolate chip cookies are definitely my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look so yummy! Have a great year at school!

    Thank you for your comment and for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, how cool! Great and fun idea! Nice pics too (:

    Peace and love!

    ReplyDelete